Thursday, December 13, 2012

Re: [californiadisasters] Earthquake I Experienced 24 Years Ago Yesterday



I look forward to it. I did feel one about 70 miles from where I was(first trip to California) 3 years ago in November 2009. I was practically the only one who noticed it(nobody else noticed until I said something about it). There is no way I will ever want to go back to where I came from. I belong here and I'm most passionate about these things. I do not have a poster but I do check out the USGS and SCEDC websites that have clickable fault maps. I am being patient, though I was a bit eager at first. I cannot wait til I actually get hands-on, physical access to the SAF or another fault!

From: Julie <zulie55@gmail.com>
To: californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2012 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: [californiadisasters] Earthquake I Experienced 24 Years Ago Yesterday
 
Welcome to the heart of earthquake country. Be patient you will get rocked soon, and maybe so rocked that you will want to go back to where you came from. HADo you have your dangles up yet on the ceiling? If not, invest in a couple wind chimes and have them dangle from your ceiling, those are good earthquake felt devices. They help me when I am not sure if its a quake or not, I look at mine when they sways then I know it just rocked ( not good when you have a fan blowing by it). Plus when we get a real good size quake they make great sounds during it :-)  Did you get your poster map of the fault lines in California  and put it on your wall with the push pins and red flags for it yet?  I have one and use the pins and flags on it. ( it helps you get to know your faults and where they are at) Did you go to the nearest fault near you and jump up and down on it yet? Got to do that just for fun and see if you trigger a quake :-) Enjoy one of the rockest places on the earth :-)

Julie D.
On 12/9/2012 7:26 PM, Kylie Johanson wrote:
 
I've only been living in California for six days now. I really cannot wait until I get quaked really good! So far there have been like, magnitude 1s all over Southern California lately. Of course, I'm quite realistic about this. I don't expect earthquakes everyday.
From: Kim Noyes mailto:kimnoyes@gmail.com
To: CaliforniaDisasters mailto:californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com; California's Earthquake Forum mailto:californiasearthquakeforum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:45 PM
Subject: [californiadisasters] Earthquake I Experienced 24 Years Ago Yesterday
 
Type of Faulting: left-lateral strike-slip, with very minor reverse motionTime: December 3, 1988 / 3:38 am PSTLocation: 34° 8.47' N, 118° 7.96' W Directly below the city of Pasadena. Magnitued: ML5.0Fault Involved: Raymond faultDepth: 15.6 km
 Apart from its effects on local residents, this quake was notable for a few seismological details. First, it was followed by an unusually small number of aftershocks for a quake of its magnitude, the largest of which was hardly noticable -- only a magnitude 2.4 (unless the Montebello earthquake is considered an aftershock of this event). Second, it served to bring the debate over the sense of motion of the Raymond fault closer to an end, by providing a clear example of left-lateral movement most likely located along that fault.
Source: http://www.data.scec.org/significant/pasadena1988.html
-- Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/ Read my blog at http://eclecticarcania.blogspot.com/ My Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/derkimster Linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kim-noyes/9/3a1/2b8 Follow me on Twitter @DisasterKim


__._,_.___


Be sure to check out our Links Section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/links
Please join our Discussion Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters_discussion/ for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment