Friday, March 22, 2013

[californiadisasters] Re: No power. No phones. No internet. What would you do?



Thanks for the update on the Red Cross radios ... I actually did not know the frequency. I'll file that away for future reference!
 
I worked with them for a short time in the early 2000's and found them way too bureaucratic for my taste, although I'll still help in an emergency involving ham radio, etc. Prefer to work with faith based groups myself ... and it actually doesn't matter which faith they're based in either, as long as they're observant. I just find they do a much better job when it comes to dealing with people in a compassionate fashion.
 
I think ham radio works so well because it isn't tied to other utilities to work. A ham can come into an area and set up even if there are NO utilities at all (other than what they bring with them). Very valuable service. I've been a licensed "ham" (amateur radio operator) since the early 1970's when I began dabbling in electronics and technology, about the same time I took up computers. It's amazing how far technology has progressed, but a natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake,etc.) can throw us back to the "dark ages" even now. that's why ham radio should never be abandoned.
 
As far as posting my ham radio comment on the original post ... I couldn't figure out just exactly what WAS the first comment in the group of comments. Anyone is free to repost this or my other comment if they wish, and I'll take note of it. Then, next time, I'll know which one is the first comment ... :)
 
Lynn WB7PTR
New Orleans, LA.


__._,_.___


Be sure to check out our Links Section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/links
Please join our Discussion Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters_discussion/ for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment