Saturday, August 24, 2013

RE: [Geology2] Iceland... wowza!



Lin,

 

I’m counting on you being there.  Wall ah’ll be in Ten-uh-say teeoo, affa Neeyoo Inglan, ayup, I want to start in PEI, eh?  I’ll need someone local to help coordinate the maximum fall color time, which I know changes almost every year.  Then its walkabout mode trying to stay with the peak colors (and not gainin a hunnert pounds).  Ah ma-eet een trah sum boilt peanuts in jo-juh (sounds nasty). 

 

I can dawdle on the way there or make it a speed run (hope not, that’s exhausting).  Acadia is absolutely on the list as is whale watching.  There’s also a cormorant not common here (we have pelagic and double crested) as well as the puffins (ALWAYS fun to watch).  Blue Ridge Parkway, Smokys, as much coast as I can get and mehbeh some Kanetuck as well.  After gator town, the westward track will be weather driven, but prolly N’orlans den tun raht tuh haid home via Kansas and Colorado (if’n dey ain’t burning or flooding like this year).

 

Barefoot inda snow, agin?  Now whahd ah ulreddy know dat?

 

For all ya’ll trying to read the above, I’m from Cali but I’m fluent in SSL (Suthrun as a Second Language).  It may take me a week or two to learn New England since they reportedly don’t talk much.  My normal learning curve to becoming a ‘local’ is about 3 days, which coincides with my time to max tan in Hawaii so I’m taken for kama aina (local born) before the weekend, no prollum brudda.  ;o)  T’sall good.  <<shakka>> Pidgin however, eludes me but it’s not common (if spoken slowly, I can get about every sixth word).

 

The last trips to Oahu, I appeared dressed in sweats at the airport and about an hour into the flight drew some concerned looks as I stood and peeled them off.  But once the other passengers (and attendants) saw I was also wearing a tank top and shorts to go with the flip flops (slippahs), folks’d just smile and nod.  My little (but practical) joke and some wished they’d thought of it too (think foggy SF to icky sticky Atlanta in July).

 

Yah, got Hawaii on the mind lately, it’d be good to go again but maybe some different islands before visiting my friends on Oahu.

 

Rick

 

PS Gunnuh bah buh keyoo me sum poke rib t’morruh n gots me a cupla poke butts fo next week fo inda smokuh.  Gonna mek me sum poolt poke sammiches.  Nex munt ah’ll do me a biff brisket.  Dat’ll keep duh freezuh happee fo wahl.  A boys gotta eat now affa all.

 


From: Lin Kerns

Rick,

I'm counting on you being up there when I'm there. My sis and I are hatching plots in order to move me to the South Portland area. One Christmas, I didn't know if I was going to make it home, as my flights kept cancelling due to the snow. There were places where the white stuff stood 5' deep in the suburbs. I did catch a last minute flight and ran to the plane on a solid sheet of ice, holding my boots in my hands, yelling, "Wait!" lol

Lin



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment