Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Re: [californiadisasters] Re: Scanner chat



Ah, you were part of "The Dark Side" of the force eh?  At least you weren't a medic.  :o)  I did 34 years of fire, the years as a Captain were some of my best years.  (What do you call a room with two medics in it?  A whine cellar.)  No, don't bother with the flaming responses, it's an industry thing.  (Get tough or go to B shift.)

While I enjoy the sounds of nature best, it's sometimes too quiet at home (I live alone).  The scanner noises are a very familiar background noise that I mostly don't hear, unless it involves an area (friends house, new fire) that I'm interested in.  I honestly tune most of it out and listen subliminally.  Others don't have the decades of practice and don't have that skill yet are amazed when I filter it.  I actually sleep better with that 'happy noise' too.

I have two scanners running 24/7, so I don't have to blast it through the house.  One scans FAR more stuff (this time of year) than the ancient Pro-2004 (circa 1990?) but scans MUCH faster.  The oldster stays on the basic channels only, so it's harder to miss any dispatches or sizeup reports or similar critical data (yes, I can multitask my ears to hear both, I was married once, with kids).  The portable scanner travels with me but I've been wondering if another '536 in the RV makes sense since I can run it from a tablet in the cab...  I'm not rich, they're expensive, but I'm a nerd and I LOVE toys (ask anyone that's been here).

That's another summer project, to filter and purge old toys that are still useful (to someone else) and make an e-waste run with the rest.  I need the space for new toys!

Rick


On 4/28/2015 3:17 PM, Doug Arnold oldjasper@verizon.net [californiadisasters] wrote:
 

Rick, you sound like me. I worked in the media for 30 years and my scanner is on 24 hours a day. My non-updated scanner has been on for nearly 20 years!
Doug
Pinon Hills




__._,_.___

Posted by: Rick WA6NHC <happymoosephoto@gmail.com>


Be sure to check out our Links Section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/links
Please join our Discussion Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters_discussion/ for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.





__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment