Sunday, November 27, 2011

Re: [Geology2] Louisiana geology



It is indeed a small world... we have been camping at Devil's Lake also and there is a small remnant of a serpent mound there.
No I did not know about the Mazon Creek fossils but will note them down for a field trip after the winter... I had relatives as extras in "Steel Magnolias" also. Natchitoches still talks about them. Ask your wife if she knows any Maricellis..my maiden name.
Regarding black bears...I believe you. They can get mighty pushy when there is food involved. I have almost hit deer here in the middle of Milwaukee and have bunnies in my yard and there have been reports of coyotes plus wildcats.
My mom grew up in Lake Charles also...my dad is the one from Campti...near Natchitoches. lol.. Allison
From: ChuckB <gumboyaya@cox.net>
To: geology2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Geology2] Louisiana geology

 
Allison,

You wrote:
 
Oh.. that is fascinating, esp regarding mounds on the LSU campus. I visited my cousin there but only got acquainted with a bar called the White Horse...lol. I have not visited Poverty Point yet but here in Milwaukee I am not too far from the remains of Cahokia. I have some land near Natchitoches, La., and there are mounds there but I won't do anything there without some sort of professional presence. I was born in La, grew up in Tx and by some weird machination...ended up here in WI. As you may have noted I am strictly a layperson on this list.

Small world. I spent several happy summers camping at Devil's Lake (ancient river gorge dammed by a moraine) near Baraboo and at a park near Delavan. Had a close encounter with a black bear there, but no one believed me.  I imagine you are familiar with the Mazon Creek fossils in Illinois, not nearly as far as Cahokia.

My wife grew up in Lake Charles and has friends in Natchitoches. One of her classmates watched the filming of "Steel Magnolias" and had family members play as extras.

Chuck






__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment