Sunday, May 20, 2012

RE: [Geology2] Rick and Lin



Hi Allison,

 

You’ll have to read that pretty carefully again.  If’n ah wuzz tahkin in Suthrun, it’d bay ‘fahter’ fo “fighter”.  However, if I was in Bahston, you’d be correct.  It’s all in the tonal inflections.  (Not that there isn’t um, gas around a firehouse, we ate a LOT of garlic and the results were Olympic quality.)

 

Suthrun is easy, just relax mosta-duh pro-nun-see-ai-shuns, run-it-tuh-gether n slow it all down.  ‘N I kin tokk a fair Texican, British (with northern/southern variations) and Ozzie (also pretty easy) too.  My Nee-you Yolk needs practice (hey, fuggedaboudit).

 

I pick up the local accents pretty quickly and without thinking about it, start using them.  After a few days, I’m often mistaken for a local (except it takes me a week to gain local ‘color’ in Hawaii, but I tan fast).  That eh, drove my, eh, ex nuts in Canada eh?  It’s not intentional, really!

 

Lin has a fairly moderate TN accent and I poke fun at her alda tahm ova et.  It’s watered down because she’s traveled and lived in other places.  Y’afta ask huh heh ah dew in tawkin Suthrun.  Local accents (VA or NC?  GA or ‘bama?) are getting harder to hear or define with so much of the population shifting about.  Lin is just that kind of example.

 

So many Americans; separated by a common language (sorry George Bernard Shaw).

 

Ah well, back to rocks now.

 

Rick

 


From: Allison Loukanis

 I enjoyed both your posts and find a lot to ruminate about...But Rick. You do a pretty good Southern accent on paper but I was under the impression you were a fire fighter, not a fire farter. lol...that is a whole new side to putting out fires with fire. 

 


From: Rick Bates <HappyMoosePhoto@gmail.com>
To: geology2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:13 PM
Subject: RE: [Geology2] Sulfur Finding May Hold Key to Gaia Theory of Earth as Living Organism

 

 

Hey Lin,

 

Heh yew seepy haid? 

 

Okai.  Ah’m juzza dumb fahr-fahter, um...  Sorry, I’ll rephrase and refrain from Suthrun fo da dew-ray-shun.  :o)

 

Ok, I’m just a former firefighter with no



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment