Tuesday, September 27, 2011
[californiadisasters] SKYWARN WX Condition Reporting Guidelines
What to Report?
Remember to please keep calls short with the information given below, as well as specific times and locations of reports, and a reference to the nearest city/town (if possible). There are many spotters who call at the same time. This helps all calls get through in a timely manner.
- Rainfall Intensity: How much is falling over a specific period?
- Flooding or Debris Flows that are threatening life/property, or are disrupting traffic.
- Describe the flooding:
- water depth
- time it began and ended
- Amount, rate and time of new snow accumulations.
- Elevation of snow level
- Icing of roads or road closures
- Very low temperatures:
- Coast: 35 degrees or lower
- Valleys: 30 degrees or lower
- Deserts: 20 degrees or lower
- Significant wind chill
- Report visibilities less than or equal to 1/4 mile
- Report winds of 30 mph or more
- Speed of winds (sustained or gusts)
- Report for these temperature thresholds:
- Coast: 95 degrees or higher
- Valleys: 105 degrees or higher
- Deserts: 115 degrees or higher
- Estimated location, duration, speed and direction of movement
- Any hail (size, accumulation, etc)
- 1/4" = pea size
- 1/2" = marble size
- 3/4" = penny size
- 1" = quarter size
- 1 3/4" = golf ball size
- Wind speeds and gusts
- Rainfall rate and amount
- If lightning strikes any object
- Report when surf is 6 feet or greater
- Any flooding or damage caused by high tides and/or high surf
- Funnel clouds, waterspouts or any rotating clouds
- Estimated location, duration, speed and direction or movement Damage or Injuries:
- Please report any confirmed weather-related damage, injuries, or deaths.
Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/
Read my blog at http://eclecticarcania.blogspot.com/
My Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/derkimster
Linkedin profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kim-noyes/9/3a1/2b8
Follow me on Twitter @DisasterKim
Be sure to check out our Links Section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/links
Please join our Discussion Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters_discussion/ for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.