Thursday, April 19, 2012

RE: [californiadisasters] Ham Volunteers Wanted for BSIM Apr 29th

Big Sur International Marathon (Googled it).  It requires a ham radio license to act as a communicator for this event.  Communications includes but is not limited to runner placement (during the race), medical requests (runners, viewers) and ‘sag wagon’ for those that decide to quit.  The license is required because of the frequencies being used (and everyone brings their own radios).  It’s one of the services given by ham radio operators.


There are a few ways to learn enough to get a license, but it basically involves learning enough to pass a multiple choice test (no Morse code is required).  All test questions AND the answers are public information (if you want to learn all 450 questions).  It currently costs $14 to take the test.


I’m licensed but my RV is too big for that road (heck even the Subaru and utility trailer was almost too big to make the turns).





What is the BSIM?

and in what function as  a communicator?




Be sure to check out our Links Section at
Please join our Discussion Group at for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe


No comments:

Post a Comment