Friday, June 21, 2019

Re: [californiadisasters] Re: Admin Read: Group Check-In



Thanks Kim and I'm glad that we've chewed some of the same "scanner" ground. What I didn't say earlier is that this group keeps folks like us connected in a simple way outside of social media. I've been in some actual emergency situations and in the end pencil and paper never dies . Thanks for keeping the group going and thank you for keeping the One this Date in California History and the SouthOps/North Ops updates too :) 

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 11:52:56 PM PDT, Kim Noyes kimnoyes@gmail.com [californiadisasters] <californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:




Mr. Henry,

Good for you sticking it out all these years. The hobby of scanner monitoring is fun and has been something I've enjoyed most of my life except for the severals I took a break during my tweener and teen years and then resumed at age 19. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley until I was 12 and the scanner was on for years and it became part of our household during the second half of the 1970s into early 1980s. Then we moved to Atascadero which some even now call Atascabama and that ruined scanner monitoring for awhile. We were spoiled listening to LACoSO and LACoFD and Pasadena police and fire and all the other goodies down there and in 1982 not much was happening up here in SLO Co. Of course that has all changed and there is plenty to monitor around here now.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 11:26 PM John Henry jklhenry@yahoo.com [californiadisasters] <californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I'm still here and still enjoying this group. Here's some truth to consider. I've been listening to scanners since the mid 80's. I had to put my scanner on search back then and try to figure out what I was listening to. Write it down with a pencil on actual paper and try to figure it out what it was. Then, the next time I heard something I had to use human logic to figure it out ...or even wait until the next season when something would break on those channels again!  I didn't even have the old Radio Shack Frequency Books. Even people that I thought were my friends made me try and figure it all out on my own. I didn't have a data base to list the frequencies or any scanner software to let a computer try to sort it out, I had to do it the old and hard way. Now days, I see folks with their scanner apps on their phones giving out bunk and over reactive information on facebook and twitter because now all of a sudden they're "experts". Yes, there are plenty of real FB pages and websites that make things easier and more convenient and I enjoy them daily. but now, my County is going digital/encrypted because of all the "experts".....ok, that was my "Chris Farley, living in a van down by the river" speech. For anyone out their who remembers B.A.S.E. (Bay Area Scanner Enthusists), I was BASE#106. Keep this Group Kim :)
On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 8:07:12 PM PDT, wliben wliben@yahoo.com [californiadisasters] <californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:




Hello, from Palo Alto,  



Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
From: "Marilyn Sass paws_sassy@yahoo.com [californiadisasters]" <californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 6/20/19 2:05 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: "Kim Noyes kimnoyes@gmail.com [californiadisasters]" <californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [californiadisasters] Re: Admin Read: Group Check-In

 

:) & TY

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 10:42:15 AM PDT, Kim Noyes kimnoyes@gmail.com [californiadisasters] <californiadisasters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

So 12 hours after posting my original roll-call request, 35 of you responded onlist or privately. I consider that a quorum and thus will continue my resumption of regular activity here. Had it been only a handful I would have let this place remain essentially a dormant archive of the events we've covered here since we started in May 2007. Please continue to check in as I still would like to get a sense of how many people still utilize this list in a time when the Yahoo Groups platform continues its gentle roll into oblivion.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 10:23 PM Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@gmail.com> wrote:
Achtung Gruppe!

With the recent increase in success of the Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit platforms of California Disasters I've also put more time (any time at all, actually) into the original platform here as those of you still here have noticed. This brings me to my question: How many of you are still here? Please check in with an email response. Thanks in advance!

Gruppe Oberfuhrer


--





--




__._,_.___

Posted by: John Henry <jklhenry@yahoo.com>


Be sure to check out our Links Section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters/links
Please join our Discussion Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiadisasters_discussion/ for topical but extended discussions started here or for less topical but nonetheless relevant messages.





__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment